A Vacation without going Anywhere
If you’re anything like me, stress is just part and parcel of daily life. It’s so easy to get caught up in the every day mundane activities — work, chores, kids’ activities all take up every minute of our time and since the pandemic hit, traveling has become more of a burden than a pleasant experience for most people. But you know what? We all need a break from the hustle and bustle of life! Taking some time out of each day to refocus and get grounded can really bring some much needed calm, clarity and sanity back into our lives. This is where the practise of meditation can help.
There are numerous benefits of meditation, but I’ve listed out just 5 below. I’ve listed these because they are the ones that most hit home personally.
- Meditation Improves Sleep — Yes please! The increased calmness that results from spending some time meditating will help to switch off that overthinking mind and help you to drift into a nice, restful sleep. Before you know it, you’ll be waking up the next morning, full of energy and ready to take on the day!
- Meditation Increases Self Awareness — Imagine getting into a car, putting a blindfold on, turning the ignition and just doing the best you can do. That’s usually not going to lead to the most ideal outcomes. Well, that’s how many of us go through life on a daily basis; we do things with little control and basically just react to things that are outside of our control. Meditation helps us to drive the car properly so-to-speak — without the blindfold and with more of a mindful approach to life.
- Gain a New Perspective on Stressful Situations — Now this one is tied into the point above. Stressful situations are going to come regardless. We’re going to have rough days at work, relationship problems and screaming kids to deal with. But when we get into the practise of meditation, our overall perspective on things changes and we can take a much more calculated approach in how we respond to the curve balls life throws our way.
- Meditation Reduces Negative Emotions — For those of us who find ourselves in the negative loop of doom and gloom, there is indeed hope to be found in meditation practise! As we take the time out to focus on the present and quiet all the internal noise, it becomes easier to develop and maintain a more positive outlook towards life. With the constant bombardment of news about how the world will be ending at any given moment, this is some medicine that we could all use a double shot of!
- Increases Imagination and Creativity — According to Danny Penman, the author of Mindfulness for Creativity, meditation switches on divergent thinking. This is the type of thinking that opens our minds to new ideas. When we are more open-minded, we can develop multiple solutions to a problem. That’s not only helpful in our daily lives, but could be just the spark that we need for that next big business or service that no one else is doing. That could lead to becoming a pioneer in the next groundbreaking business venture!
Meditation can be done anywhere, it’s free and super beneficial; so we should all incorporate at least 10 minutes of meditating per day and the benefits will be quickly noticeable. There are a bunch of apps out there that can help you to begin, improve and maintain a steady and successful meditation practise. I use an app called Headspace. It has loads of different meditations geared towards different goals. I also enjoy the sleepcasts it has and I listen to them at night before bed. They are basically like bedtime stories with accompanying sound effects and work remarkably well at putting me right into sleep. Find one that works for you and go for it!